Table of Contents
This policy is effective as of: August 10, 2022.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
LitStack complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”). COPPA requires that website operators never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting verifiable parental consent. In accordance with COPPA, we do not knowingly collect any Personal Data from children under the age of 13. We recommend that no one under the age of 18 submit Personal Data to our Site. In the event that we determine that a user of this Site is under the age of 13, we will not maintain or use his or her Personal Data and will delete same.
Information Collected on the Website
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as, without limitation, name, and e-mail address (“Personal Data”);
- Information concerning page “hits,” delivered anonymously, including IP address, page views, location, browsing device, and screen resolution; and/or
We collect Personal Data when you:
- Comment on an article on LitStack through the Website;
- send LitStack an email message;
- Fill out the Join Newsletter Form on the Website; or
- otherwise provide LitStack with Personal Data.
We also collect certain information automatically when you use or access the Site as set forth below under the header “Cookies, Google® Analytics, and other Technologies” Section.
You have a choice as to whether to provide LitStack with any Personal Data. Although you are not required to disclose any Personal Data to us, some portions of the Website (commenting) may not be available to you without your providing this information.
Use of Your Information
LitStack uses any Personal Data and any other information that you provide in a limited number of ways. We may use your Personal Data or other information:
- To respond to your emails sent to LitStack;
- To provide you with information about LitStack;
- To alert you to updated information and other news and information from LitStack;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any agreements between us and you (including, without limitation, the Terms);
- To notify you about changes to the Website;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide information; and
- For any other purpose LitStack deems appropriate with your consent or as described when you provide the information.
Disclosure of Your Information
In addition, LitStack may hire other companies (“Contractors”) to perform services on our behalf such as operating certain aspects of the Site, or sending you email, or developing new software. These Contractors may be supplied with or have access to your Personal Data or other information for the sole purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf or as otherwise set forth in such third parties’ respective privacy policies. LitStack may also use third-party ad servers or ad networks to deliver ads to you on LitStack’s behalf.
These third-party ad servers may be supplied with or have access to your Personal Data or other information for the sole purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf. They also may collect and use non-Personal Data about your visits to the Site in order to send advertisements that may be of interest to you.
We may also on occasion combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from other parties to enhance our ability to market to you those products or services that may be of interest to you.
We may need to disclose Personal Data or other information collected from you when required by law or if we have a good-faith belief that the action is necessary to comply with a pending judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on LitStack or to protect our rights or the rights of others, to fight fraud, identity theft, to ensure the integrity and operation of our business and systems, or to protect the rights, property or safety of LitStack, its employees, members or others.
We may also disclose your information (including your Personal Data) to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, change of control, reorganization or other sale or transfer of all or some of LitStack’s assets, whether as a going concern or as a part of bankruptcy or liquidation or similar proceeding, in which such information is among the assets transferred.
Control of your Personal Data; Choices Concerning Personal Data
When you give us Personal Data or other information, LitStack will not share that information with third parties without your permission, other than for the limited exceptions provided herein. Such Personal Data or other information will only be used for the purposes set forth herein.
LitStack may send periodic emails informing you of changes and updates regarding the Website. If you would like to opt-out of our sharing of Personal Data with non-agent third parties, please provide us with an email at email@example.com and we will accommodate the request.
On an aggregate basis only, we collect comprehensive demographic, business information and data, and other non-identifying information about users of the Website. LitStack will never disclose any Personal Data as part of this aggregate information, but we may lend, sell, share or otherwise disclose aggregate information with others so we can perform research and provide the results to third parties, enhance and market the Website, and conduct accounting and process record keeping functions.
Other Websites and Links
We may include links to other websites that we think will be of interest to you or operated by our business partners, affiliates, advertisers, and others. These third parties have separate data collection and privacy practices independent from ours, and LitStack cannot be responsible for their policies or activities. Please contact those third parties directly if you have questions about their privacy policies.
Cookies, Google® Analytics and other Technologies
LitStack also uses more temporary cookies, often referred to as session cookies, to keep a user logged into the system and aid in the exchange of information between pages without loss of data. Such a cookie, however, is only stored for the current browsing session and is deleted once the browser is closed. LitStack can also only read cookies from the Website. Search for Cookies under your Web Browser’s Help menu for more information on cookie management features available to you. If your browser is set to reject all cookies, the Website may not function properly.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Targeted or Interest-Based Advertising. We may work with third-party advertising companies that collect and use information about your online activities across sites overtime, in order to deliver more relevant advertising when you are visiting the Site and elsewhere on the Internet. This practice is known as interest-based advertising. The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt-out of receiving targeted ads from our advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these, and also learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy at: networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, www.youronlinechoices.eu/, or www.youradchoices.ca/, and www.aboutads.info/choices/. You can also opt-out of targeted advertising directly on the advertising platform by visiting https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads, https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous, and https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads. Note that electing to opt out will not stop advertising from appearing in your browser or applications. It may make the ads you see less relevant to your interests. If you delete, block, or otherwise restrict cookies or use a different computer or Internet browser, you may need to renew your opt-out choice.
Responding to DO NOT TRACK Signals
Please note that LitStack does not currently respond to DO NOT TRACK requests sent from a user’s web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari.
Accessing and Updating Information
LitStack does not currently have an online method for users to delete their Personal Data contained in our database. However, you may change or update the Personal Data we have collected, request that we delete it, or request that we change how we use it by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your instructions. Please note that this deletion may otherwise impact prior transactions performed on the Website. We will not accommodate a change or deletion if we believe doing so will violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
This Website has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control, and we make good faith efforts to store your Personal Data in a secure operating environment. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be absolutely secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your Personal Data, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of LitStack who are California residents to request certain information regarding LitStack’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com.